Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A weekend getaway in Spain!

This past weekend was filled with lots of plans! We began our weekend with going to the beach on Saturday. The beach we planned to go was called Salobrena. This was an adventure in itself. This would be a test of our planning and navigating abilities. To get to Salobrena, we would have to find our own transportation. We headed onto the bus that took us to the bus station. At the bus station, we bought our tickets to get on the bus that is on the way to Salobrena. We scrambled to find the bus but we finally got on it and headed to the beach!


When heading off the bus, we instantly felt a difference. The air was fresher and warmer. There were many palm trees. It felt as if we showed up in a different country. We walked to the beach. A noticeable difference was the rocks instead of sand. I grew up going to east coast beaches and having rocks instead of sand was something I was surprised at. However, the rocks became a lost thought once I looked up and saw the Mediterranean Sea and the large cliff. The water was gorgeous. The cliff was awesome and you were able to climb up on it and see across the whole beach.


We spent the whole day enjoying a relaxing day on the beach. Some of us climbed up the rocks and had a little photo shoot. It's gorgeous and there is so many perfect photos that can be taken! Before leaving, we decided that we should jump into the water. So some of us made the daring venture and jumped into the sea! I was surprised at how salty the water was in comparison to other places I have swam. It was surprisingly warm! I would have kept swimming if we didn't have to leave!


If you wanna enjoy a beautiful day away from the city and cross of swimming in the Mediterranean Sea off your bucket list, Salobrena is where I highly recommend you go! :)



After a long day at the beach, our group had an excursion to Ronda on Sunday. We arrived in Ronda and walked around the beautiful city. My favorite part of the excursion was the Plaza del Toros. A bullfighting ring?! Who would have thought I would ever step my foot into a bullfighting ring!?!



Our tour guide led us through the bullfighting ring. We saw where the horse stables were. Some horses were even there :) We then saw the bull stalls. Our tour guide told us that the bulls are put into the stalls the night before the bull fight. We then walked inside the bull fighting ring. It was so neat! I didn't realize how large the ring was. There is a special section for royalty and we were told that seats were hard to get. They needed to be booked far in advance and were pricey.


After walking in the ring, there was a little museum. There were displays of traditional bullfighting attire. They had the outfits for the bullfighters and then clothing for the women who watched. The museum also had paintings and photos of bullfighters to show how bullfighting is a large part of the culture in Spain. There was also a bull's horn displayed on the wall! It was huge! It definitely made me realize how large these animals are and how dangerous the sport is.


We ended our trip with a fabulous lunch and a bus ride home. Overall, a successful weekend away in Spain :)

Oh and I love this picture of Doris!

No comments:

Post a Comment