Sunday, January 8, 2012

Alhambra!

As my roommate Kat and I woke up this morning, our host mom began to tell us about Alhambra. She said it was very beautiful and was spectacular. I honestly didn't think she could be accurate. I mean, a fortress that was built on top of many times? Honestly, it wasn't something I was thinking that would be as grand as it was described to me.

While walking up the extremely steep hill to reach the Alhambra, I realized that my host mom was wrong. It wasn't beautiful, it was extremely gorgeous. There is no
words to describe its effect on me. It looks simple and plain but when you get close and look at the details, you realize the intricate designs and carvings. I think the most astonishing thing was the choice of design to incorporate the bellota, pina and concha (symbolism of the community).

Two of my favorite parts of the trip was the Palace of Charles V. Our tour guide informed us that it was built on top of the Alhambra (as if to show everyone that the Catholics had taken over). It was intended to have a dome on the top but it was never completed. I found it interesting because it was very different from the other parts of the Alhambra. It had a Roman architecture and was a very European design rather than the Islamic architecture. This 2 story building made me feel as if I were in a different country such as France or Italy. It was such an interesting feeling to have. Knowing that the intent was to be different and to make a statement, I feel as if King Charles achieved that goal.

Another favorite part of my trip included walking to the top of the Alcazaba and looking over the city. It was so cool to see how the Muslims used this fort for looking over their city. We saw the mountain where they saw the Christians coming over to attack the city. It was extremely far away but I felt the design of the fort was made high enough to make the mountain feel closer!

The Alhambra was magnificent. There is so much history there and it makes you feel as if you are
going back into time.

More to come :)

No comments:

Post a Comment